Happy Birthday Libra!
Celebrate Your Birthstone: The Opulent Opal
Those born under the LIBRA sign are recognized as being fair-minded, charming and peaceful.
- Born: Sept 23 – Oct 22
- Zodiac Symbol: Scales
- Ruling Planet: Venus
- Ruling Element: Air
DID YOU KNOW? 10 Opal Fun Facts
- The name ‘Opal’ is derived from the Greek word opallios, which means ‘to see a change in color’, which is the reason they appear to catch light like a kaleidoscope
- Opals are one of the six types of precious gemstones (along with diamonds, sapphires, rubies, emeralds, and pearls)
- Rating 5-6.5 on the Mohs Hardness Scale, Opals require some care when wearing and cleaning to avoid scratching.
- The opal is the national gemstone of Australia
- There are three main types of opal: precious, fire and common. Precious opals are iridescent; common opals have a milky sheen known as adularescence; and fire opals are a relatively transparent gemstone with a vivid yellow-orange-red color
- Opals symbolize loyalty, faithfulness, purity, hope and confidence, justice, harmony and protection
- The opal was Queen Victoria’s favorite gemstone
- Opal has been found as far out as Mars! The gemstone was found in a 1911 Martian meteorite
- Opals are the traditional gift for 14th wedding anniversaries
- The rarest opal is the black opal