Happy Birthday AQUARIUS!
Celebrate Your Birthstones: The Amazing Amethyst
Those born under the Aquarius sign are recognized as being clever, calm and optimistic.
- Born: Jan 20 – Feb 18
- Zodiac Symbol: Water
- Ruling Planet: Uranus
- Ruling Element: Air
DID YOU KNOW? 10 Amethyst Fun Facts
- Amethysts are known as the stone of royalty. This may be due to purple being one of the most difficult colours to reproduce in ancient times.
- One of the oldest surviving crowns with amethyst jewels is the “Iron Crown of Lombardy” from Italy.
- Amethyst rates a 7 out of 10 on the Mohs Scale of Hardness, making it "average" in terms of day-to-day wearability. As a comparison, diamonds rate a 10 - making them the most durable and suitable gemstone for everyday wear.
- Amethyst is a variety of quartz. Unlike other quartz, amethyst has been used primarily as a jewelry gemstone since ancient Egyptian times.
- While the word "amethyst" makes most people think of a dark purple gem, amethysts occur in many variants of purple – from barely perceptible lavender to nearly opaque dark violet.
- According to crystal healing experts, Amethyst emits a high vibration, infusing it with divine energy for purification, wisdom, balance, and tranquility.
- Amethysts were an often featured gem in Art Deco Jewelry and are still amongst the most popular gemstones used in jewelry design today.
- Celebrities photographed wearing amethyst jewelry include Nina Dobrev, Katy Perry and Halle Berry.
- Amethysts are believed to bring peace and restful sleep to their wearers.
- Amethysts are found throughout the world. The largest deposits are found in South America, Africa and North America. In North America, the largest mine is located in Thunder Bay, Ontario, Canada.