Happy Birthday Cancer!
Celebrate Your Birthstone: The Radiant Ruby
CANCERS are known as loyal, protective, intuitive and caring.
- Born: June 21 – July 22
- Zodiac Symbol: Crab
- Ruling Planet: Moon
- Ruling Element: Water
DID YOU KNOW? 10 Ruby Fun Facts
- The name “ruby” comes from the Latin word for red, Rubeus
- The ruby has long-symbolized love, passion, energy, and success
- Ruby is the traditional gift for a 40th wedding anniversary
- Although rubies are valuable, they are more affordable than diamonds, making them a popular alternative to a diamond engagement ring
- Ruby is the red variety of the corundum mineral. All other colors of corundum are sapphires
- Rubies are formed under the earth’s surface, and the depth of a ruby’s colour depends on how much chromium is present
- Measuring 9 on the Mohs Hardness Scale, rubies are second only to diamonds
- The same chromium that gives rubies their red colour also causes a natural fluorescence – making rubies glow like they have an inner fire
- The majority of ruby deposits are found in Asia, including Myanmar, Thailand, India, Pakistan and Nepal
- Burmese rubies are the most sought after and expensive variety, known for their deep red colour
- Victoria Beckham, over the course of her 19-year marriage to David Beckham, has received 15 'engagement' rings (how romantic!). One of these rings features a stunning oval-cut ruby surrounded by diamonds.
- Cartier's "The Sunrise" Burmese ruby ring features their most expensive gemstone to-date. This extremely rare piece sold at Sotheby's in 2015 for $30.3 M. At $1.2 M per carat, which set a world record.
- The 8.62 carat Burmese ruby currently known as the "Graff Ruby" was purchased by luxury jeweler Laurence Graff in 2014 for a record $8.6 M.