Happy Birthday Leo!
Celebrate Your Birthstone: The Playful Peridot
Those born under the LEO sign are recognized as being confident, fiercely protective and big-hearted.
- Born: July 22 – Aug 22
- Zodiac Symbol: Lion
- Ruling Planet: Sun
- Ruling Element: Fire
DID YOU KNOW? 10 Peridot Fun Facts
- Best known for its yellowish green color, peridot is the gem variety of the mineral olivine.
- Comprised of iron and magnesium, it is the presence of iron that gives the Peridot its colour.
- The gem often occurs in volcanic rocks called basalts.
- Peridot is the national gem of Egypt, referred to in ancient times as “the gem of the sun”.
- Peridot is associated with harmony, health and restful sleep.
- Most of the peridot gems found today are mined, however some have found their way to Earth via meteorites.
- Ranging from 6.5 to 7 on the Mohs hardness scale, peridot is fairly tough and durable.
- While they can be similar to emeralds in colour, peridots are lighter and have an olive undertone.
- Unlike some other gems, peridot is not enhanced or heat-treated to improve its colour.
- In jewelry, peridot looks spectacular when set in either gold or silver, with the gold and green combination being particularly eye-catching.
FEATURED PERIDOT JEWELRY
CANARY has a curated selection of Peridot jewelry to fit your style at a variety of price points to suit your budget. For those celebrating a Leo birthday, let us know and we will send you a code for 10% off!SHOP Peridot Jewelry
FAMOUS PERIDOTS: Top 3
- The Duchess of Cambridge, Kate Middleton, is a fan of peridot jewelry and is a key driver behind the resurgence of the popularity of peridot jewelry.
- The “Green Goddess” on display at the Field Museum’s Grainger Hall of Gems, is a 153-carat peridot set into a gold pendant in 2008 by jewelry expert Lester Lampert.
- Elizabeth Taylor was the proud owner of an array of peridot pieces, including a set of ear pendants, a bangle, gold ring, and a pair of pearl, peridot and diamond drop earrings.