Happy Birthday Virgo!
Celebrate Your Birthstone: The Stunning Sapphire
Those born under the VIRGO sign are recognized as being confident, fiercely protective and big-hearted.
- Born: Aug 23 – Sept 22
- Zodiac Symbol: Virgin
- Ruling Planet: Mercury
- Ruling Element: Earth
DID YOU KNOW? 10 Sapphire Fun Facts
- Sapphires don’t just come in the traditional blue we all know and love…they're found in almost every colour – except for red.
- Sapphires symbolize truth, good fortune, sincerity and nobility.
- Rating 9 on the Mohs scale, sapphires are the second hardest precious gemstone – making them durable and easy to care for.
- Sapphire is used in the scratch-resistant glass of the Apple Watch®.
- Sapphires aren’t just for Virgos: For centuries, they've been a symbol of royalty and romance. They’re also the traditional gift for 45th wedding anniversaries.
- Blue sapphire engagement rings have dramatically risen in popularity since Prince William proposed to Kate Middleton with his mother’s famous 12 Ct oval sapphire and diamond engagement ring – talk about ‘Something Blue’!
- The white sapphire has also become a popular alternative to the traditional diamond engagement ring due to its exceptional durability and relative affordability.
- Sapphires are one of the six types of precious gemstones along with diamonds, opals, rubies, emeralds, and pearls.
- The rarest colour of sapphire is the pink-orange Padparadscha sapphire.
- The most valuable colour of sapphire is the Kashmir, or cornflower blue, sapphire .
Featured SAPPHIRE Jewelry
CANARY has a curated selection of sapphire jewelry to fit your style at a variety of price points to suit your budget.
SHOP ALL Sapphire Jewelry
Three FAMOUS Sapphires:
- Napoléon’s engagement ring for Empress Joséphine, which pairs a teardrop-shaped sapphire and diamond in a setting called “You and Me”. It sold for ~$1M at auction in 2013.
- The Blue Belle of Asia 392.52 Ct blue sapphire found in 1926 in Ceylon. The 4th largest faceted sapphire, it sold for ~$6.9M at auction in 2014.
- The Blue Giant of the Orient, discovered in 1907. This cushion-cut Kashmir sapphire is the largest faceted sapphire in the world at 466 Cts.